Taking your dependent's portrait photo is one of the most important parts of applying for their status card application. Indigenous Services Canada(ISC) has very strict requirements for this photo. You can see all of the requirements for taking a portrait photo for your status card document.
On this page:
- Taking a portrait photo
- Upload your dependent's portrait photo
- Review your dependent's portrait Photo
- Replacing your dependent's portrait photo
Taking a portrait photo
Here are some tips to help you get the perfect photo:
- Have the dependent stand two feet away from a white or light coloured background
- Have even lighting across the dependent's face and background
- Have the phone at face level
- Hold the phone as far away as you comfortably can while they take a selfie or you take the photo
You can see all of Indigenous Services Canada's portrait photo requirements in the taking a portrait photo for your status card document.
Upload your portrait photo
- Click the OK, I'm Ready button
- Please review the requirements set by Indigenous Services Canada for the portrait photo to make sure your dependent's portrait photo meets them
- When you are ready to upload, click the Select button
- Select the dependent photo from your device or computer
- Check the "I have read the list above and believe my photo meets the requirements." checkbox if your photo meets the above list
- Click Save and Continue
The portrait photo has now been added to their application.
If you are resubmitting a new portrait photo, please continue through the Review Your Portrait process to complete this action.
Review your portrait photo
During this step, you will compare your dependent's photo to different example photos to make sure it fits the requirements determined by Indigenous Services Canada. It is essential to take your time and follow the instructions on the review pages.
You will be asked to check the following qualities of the portrait photo:
- The background surface
- Objects in the background
- The amount of space around you in your portrait
- The lighting
- Shadows in the background
- Camera angle
- Photo quality and focus
- Photo filters and facial feature alterations
- Facial expression
- Eye visibility
If the portrait photo looks similar to the example photo with the green checkmark, select Yes and continue to the next review page.
Select Retake to upload a new photo if it does not meet the requirements or looks more like the examples with the red X.
Once completed, you are now ready to review and sign for your dependent's application.
Replacing Your Portrait photo
You can replace the portrait photo for your dependent's application due to not meeting Indigenous Services Canada requirements or if you want to update the photo.
- Click on Portrait for Card
- Click Retake Photo
- Scroll down to Upload Photo Below > Click the Replace button
- Select the new portrait photo from your device/computer you wish to upload
- Check the "I have read the list above and believe my photo meets the requirements." checkbox if your photo meets the above list.
- Click Save and Continue
The old portrait photo has now been replaced, and the new one has been added to your dependent's application.
You must follow through with all of the Review Your Portrait pages and Review Application page to resubmit your new portrait photo.