Taking your portrait photo is one of the most important parts of applying for your status card application. Indigenous Services Canada(ISC) has very strict requirements for this photo. You can see all of the requirements in taking a portrait photo for your status card document.
On this page:
- Taking a Portrait Photo
- Upload your portrait photo
- Review Your Portrait Photo
- Replacing Your Portrait photo
Taking a portrait photo
Here are some tips to help you get the perfect photo:
- Stand two feet away from the white or light coloured background
- Have even lighting across your face and background
- Have your phone at face level
- Hold your phone as far away as you comfortably can
You can see all of Indigenous Services Canada portrait photo requirements in the taking a portrait photo for your status card document.
Upload your portrait photo
- Click the OK, I'm Ready button
- Review the requirements set by Indigenous Services Canada for your portrait photo to make sure your portrait photo meets them
- When you are ready to upload click the Select button
- Select your photo from your computer
- Check the "I have read the list above and believe my photo meets the requirements." checkbox if your photo meets the above list
- Click Save and Continue
Your portrait photo has now been added to your application.
If you are resubmitting a new portrait photo, please continue through the Review Your Portrait process to complete this action.
Review your portrait photo
During this step, you will compare your photos to different example photos to make sure it fits the requirements determined by Indigenous Services Canada. It is very important to take your time and follow the instructions on the review pages.
You will be asked to check the following qualities of your portrait photo:
- The background surface
- Objects in the background
- The amount of space around you in your portrait
- The lighting
- Shadows in the background
- Camera angle
- Photo quality and focus
- Photo filters and facial feature alterations
- Facial expression
- Eye visibility
If your portrait photo looks similar to the example photo with the green checkmark, select Yes and continue to the next review page.
If it does not meet the requirements or looks more like the examples with the red X, select Retake to upload a new photo.
Once completed, you are now ready to review and sign your application.
Replacing Your Portrait photo
You can replace your portrait photo for your application due to not meeting Indigenous Services Canada requirements or you want to update the photo.
- Click on 3. Portrait for Card
- Click Retake Photo
- Scroll down to Upload Photo Below > Click the Replace button
- Select your photo from your computer you wish to upload
- Check the "I have read the list above and believe my photo meets the requirements." checkbox if your photo meets the above list.
- Click Save and Continue
Your old portrait photo has now been replaced and your new one has been added to your application.
You must follow through all of the Review Your Portrait pages, as well as Review Application page to resubmit your new photo to us.